Laredo High School, the first public school in Laredo, was founded downtown in 1916 at the site of the present day La Posada Hotel. In 1937, Laredo High School was moved to San Bernardo Avenue and renamed Martin High School. It was the only public high school in Laredo from 1937 until 1964, when J. W. Nixon High School opened in The Heights neighborhood.
Martin High School is well known for its band, also acknowledged as "La Banda Del Animo." The most popular and energetic song played by this band is their "Fight Song". Martin High has several distinctions under its belt as their band was the first band invited from Laredo to perform at a Dallas Cowboys game and has been invited to perform at several parades around the state of Texas. Martin sports the only basketball team from Laredo ever to win a State Basketball Championship—in 1956. Several of the schools sayings are "The Pride of Laredo," and the most well-known is "Once A Tiger, Always A Tiger."